Thursday, January 6, 2011

Safe.

Someone was watching over our little guy yesterday.

My friends, Jillian, Marybeth, and I were shopping yesterday for ugly sweaters for our holiday party. We had Grayson and Spencer with us in Jillian's van. Before we went to pick up Marybeth, we were going to put Spencer's car seat in the very, very back of the van, so that Marybeth could enter through the sliding side door and we could just try to finagle his car seat in and out through the back hatch. Half as a joke, we decided to let Marybeth sit back there and crawl in and out, and also, for practical purposes, to make it easier to get Spencer in and out.

On our way back from shopping, Jillian's far back passenger window imploded. For no reason at all, that we have been able to tell. We didn't hear or see anyone throw anything. We figure it was a heat/pressure difference, from the warm interior to the super-cold exterior, but we just don't know.

It makes me feel sad to say that I think God was watching out for Spencer, keeping him safe from the imploding and flying shards of glass, because Marybeth was back in the spot where he should have been. Obviously, God was watching over her too, because she was facing away from the window when it happened, and the glass that fell upon her body did not harm her. I don't want this to be read as "I'm glad Marybeth had to go through that instead," because that's not at all what I mean. I hope you realize that.

We were all freaked out, completely, and baffled, but everyone was safe. Thank Heavens. Unfortunately, Jillian and Robert will need to replace their window. But, it could have been worse, too.

But, I can't help but wonder, would Spencer have been safe, had he been back there? In his rear facing car seat, with his face exposed, and his mouth wide open (because he has a cold and has a hard time breathing through his nose), would those flying shards of glass hurt him? I imagine they would have flown right into his face, scared him, landed in his mouth, where he may have swallowed them. Would he really be okay? I just don't know. I get chills and tears thinking about it.

But, as I said, we're blessed. I think God was watching out for both Spencer and Marybeth. Well, all of us, really, I suppose.

0 comments:

Post a Comment