Monday, December 13, 2010

Acid in the tummy, smile on the face.


SJ in his swing, 5 weeks old.

Over the past few weeks, we have had the unfortunate experience of being covered in frequent baby spit up. The indicents have been increasing, and Spencer has been having some fussy times after eating. Following a discussion with another friend whose son has acid reflux, I decided it was in Spencer's best interest to place a call to the doctor.

So, for about a week now, SJ has been on Zantac (or a generic version, anyway), as the doctor did think he probably is suffering from acid reflux. For infants, it's called GERD, but it's basically too much acid in the stomach, causing upset, and occasional heartburn like symptoms in babies.

Poor little guy. Makes sense though, seeing as how the increase was happening, and he's had more hiccups, and gas, and fussy times after eating. We were told to try the medication for a while and if it doesn't work then we will take him in to see what they'll try next, I guess. So far, its' a toss up. Sometimes I think it's working, and then other times, I find my back covered in messiness.

That's not stopping Spencer from being a happy little guy most of the time, though. His smiles are becoming more frequent and consistent. He smiles at me many, many times a day, often after I make silly noises, or just talk to him after he's sleeping. He also smiles at his toys, and at his swing.

He loves his swing. So much, that the he's used it to the point of battery exhaustion. His daddy is a hero though, and brought home new batteries this morning. He's finally taken interest in the mobile, and likes it even more when the music is playing.

On his daddy's birthday (12/8) we set up the Christmas tree, and he loves playing under his toy gym, under the tree, looking at the pretty lights. He even loves when I sing Christmas music, especially my favorite, "What Child is This?" Though, that one comforts him to the point of nearly falling asleep every time I sing it!

Anyway, wanted to post a quick update, and also say our computer is temporarily working again!

1 comments:

Kat Vanderlinden said...

you must realize, my dear, that what you eat has a great deal to do with what SJ eats. like when T was born and I ate the whole box of Andes mints Mom gave me. not a good thing.

Post a Comment